Sunday, June 2, 2013

It's that time again.....



Waiting for orders is probably one of my least favorite parts of military life. There are just so many unknowns. Will we have enough time to find a decent house? Will I know anyone there? Can I find a gym I like? Is there a Target nearby? These are all very important factors when the military sends you somewhere. And the waiting game is torture for me and my husband, though for different reasons. I play out the scenarios and look at housing for every possibility. My husband meanwhile has to deal with me asking him everyday if he's heard from his detailer. He's better at this stuff. He goes with the flow. He could live just about anywhere - though for whatever reason he REALLY doesn't want to end up in Virginia Beach. I think I could also live just about anywhere, too, but I need time to come to terms with it. I need to process the fact that I'm picking up my life again and starting someplace totally new. Don't get me wrong, that is also one of the perks about military life. I just need to think on it for a while.

The truth is, I don't love where we are at. I'm just not a NorthEasterner. I've been fortunate to live in all the different corners of this wonderful country and I just can't seem to ever acclimate to New England. Winter lasts way too long and I'm an outdoorsy girl. And people just are not as friendly or welcoming here. I can't say I've made friends with anyone NOT in the military world. So I've been looking forward to hearing where we are going for some time now, just to have something positive to look forward to.

When we moved here six months ago I was super prego. In the six months we've made it through hurricane Sandy which left us without power or water for a week, the birth of our son, and then 4 days later the blizzard Nemo which had us praying we wouldn't lose power. Luckily, the power outages were short lived that time. But with all this I'll fess up to the fact I really haven't finished UNpacking. The basement is a disaster of half unpacked boxes and packing paper everywhere. So it's a little overwhelming that it's already time to do it again. And of course I have to start thinking about how to secretly pack all those things the movers don't let you take! Cleaning supplies, the dozens of bottles of hair products, lotions, and body sprays I own, the dozens of candles. Don't they realize how precious these items are!!

Where will the submarine take us next......

No comments :

Post a Comment